About Family Hotel & Restaurant & Conference Center   “Auberge de Provence”

The first-known mention of the village Tuchoměřice is from 1301, when it was called “Tuchmeritz”. The name of the village has changed many times over its history:

Tuchmeritz 1301 / Tuchommyerzicz 1318 / Tuchomeyricz 1352 / Tuchmeritz 1361 / Tuchomyerzicz 1367-1405 / Tuchmierziczich 1410 / Na Tuchoměřicích 1521 / Na Tochoměřicícch 1525 / Tuchomierzycze, ve vsi Tuchomierzjczjch 1615.

The oldest place in Tuchoměřice is Knežívka (around the telecom tower) Archeological finds confirm inhabitance from the 3rd to 4th centuries. In 1301, an individual named Helias established the village. At the beginning of 15th century a farm was purchased by Cener z Valdstejna and the area’s name translated to “the fortress”.

In 1615 a Baroque castle and church with courtyard, brewery, and mill were built by Otakar Jindrich z Vanterberka. This complex was the center of religious life for residents of the neighboring villages of Knežívka, Cicicovice-maly and Velky.

In 1623 he sold the castle to the Jesuits of Saint Klement in Prague. At the place of the old church, the new church of Saint Vitus and Linhart was built in 1660-1668 and designed by the Italian architect Giovanni Domenico Orsini. In 1685, work began at the former monastery by Jesuit monks at the baroque building where the restaurant, hotel and conference center “Auberge de Provence” now stands. It is currently owned by Ludo E.E. Van den Bergh.

Reconstruction work started in 1997 and was completed in 2007. During these 10 years, special care was given to restore the building to its former glory. During the same time, several independent, successful business have begun within these walls. These business units provided the necessary funding to keep the former monastery and its gardens in good order.

The wall paintings in the Baroque church are by Josef Kramolin and were painted in 1768. The Jesuits held Tuchoměřice and the nearby Okoř castle until Emperor Josef II abolished the Jesuit monasteries in 1773.